What If You Were In A Boating Accident

It may seem being from Minnesota boating just comes naturally for us. Maybe you had a family vacations on the water, a friend turned you on to on the lake fun, maybe your dad really loved to fish; whatever the reason is you first got on the water I’m sure not many of us really knows what to do if you should get in an accident on the water.

If you are involved in an accident where police will need to be called a Minnesota Recreational Vehicle Accident Report will be filled out by an officer. That report can be found on dnr.state.mn.us for reference.

It is important to know when one of these reports should be filed. Boatsafe.com covers these instances for us; boating-ed.com confirms these to be true to the State of Minnesota.


  1. Life is lost due to the accident.
  2. Someone is injured and requires medical treatment beyond first aid.
  3. There is a complete loss of the vessel or damage to the vessel and property exceeding $2000.
  4. Any person on board a vessel disappears (under circumstances indicating death or injury).

Boating Accident Reports are required to be filed within:

  • 48 hours of the occurrence or if a person dies within one day (24 hours)
  • 48 hours if a person is injured and medical treatment beyond first aid is required.
  • 10 days if there is only damage to the vessel and/or property.

Feel safer on the water with an option to take a boating education class offered by boat-ed.com. This course is not a boating license class as a license to drive boat is not required in the state of Minnesota, but a piece of mind. This course is required if you are 12 to 17 years old, are unsupervised, and will be operating a boat over 25 hp in Minnesota. You also need education if you are 14 to 17 years old, are unsupervised, and will be operating a PWC. You must be at least 12 years old to take this online course. You do not have to be a resident of Minnesota to take this online course. These guidelines were taken from boat-ed.com.