Known for its durability and strength, canvas remains the material of choice for both commercial and residential awnings.
That being said, canvas is still vulnerable to natural wear and tear over time. So if you want to get the most out of your canvas awning, you’ve got to take care of it! With some routine maintenance, your awning will be looking great for years to come.
Keep it clean.
As we discussed last week, keeping your awning clean will not only maintain it’s visual appeal, it will ultimately prolong it’s life span. We suggest cleaning your awning about once a month for the best results.
To clean your canvas awning, you’ll need the following:
- A ladder
- A solution of dishwashing detergent and water
- A spray bottle
- Soft-bristled scrub brush
Once you have your supplies, the cleaning process is pretty straightforward: spray your awning down and start scrubbing. A little elbow grease will go a long way. Just remember to never use bleach in your cleaning solution (even if your awning is completely white). Bleach and canvas do not mix. Even a little bleach can cause your fabric to rot.
Once you’ve removed all of the stains, it’s time to give it a thorough rinse and allow it to dry for a few hours. A water-repellent should then be added to your awning. This will add a protective coat against the threat of environmental depletion over time.
Keep an eye out for signs of wear.
A vigilant eye is the best defense against irreversible damage. The following tips will help protect against serious damage to your canvas awning:
- Check awning frames for rust, which can permanently stain or deteriorate canvas. To prevent rust buildup, we suggest re-painting your metal frames every 4-5 years.
- Do not use a charcoal grill underneath your awning.
- Protect your awning from being dragged across abrasive surfaces (e.g., cement and tar) during transport.
- Get small rips and tears repaired as soon as possible.
- When possible, store your awning inside during extreme weather
- Make sure no twigs or leaves are stuck in between your awning and its frame, which can result in permanent staining.
Do you still have questions about canvas awning maintenance and care? The experts at Canvas Craft would be happy to help. Contact us today at 888-428-4325!