In April we celebrate the outdoors with Arbor Day and Earth Day in the same month. As we prepare for the summer heat we take pride in our outdoor environment sprucing things up and getting things back in order before summer hits. At Canvas Craft we take pride in being a small company that facilitates a balanced home and work life. We want to make sure you are also taking time to enjoy the weather and home updates that come in the spring months with your family.
Earth Day, Arbor Day what’s the difference and what are ways we can celebrate?
Earth Day is the first celebratory day we take in April to really appreciate our earth’s environment. Timeanddate.com tells us that April 22, Earth Day, was founded by Senator Gaylord Nelson, and was first organized in 1970 to promote ecology, respect for life on the planet as well as to encourage awareness of the growing problems of air, water and soil pollution. This day can be celebrated by planting trees, picking up roadside trash, conducting various programs for recycling and conservation, using recyclable containers for snacks and lunches.
Arbor Day this year falls on April 29th. Timeanddate.com gives us a background on Arbor Day, in 1854, J Sterling Morton moved from Detroit to the area that is now Nebraska. He and other pioneers noticed a lack of trees, which were needed to act as windbreaks to stabilize the soil and to give shade from the sun. Morton planted many trees around his own home and encouraged others to do the same.
On January 4, 1872, he proposed a holiday to plant trees on April 10 that year. This was known as "Arbor Day" and prizes were awarded to the counties and individuals who planted the most trees on the day. About one million trees were planted in Nebraska on the first Arbor Day. In 1885, Arbor Day became a legal holiday and was moved to April 22, which was Morton's birthday. In 1989, the official state holiday was moved to the last Friday in April. All states in the US now have an official Arbor Day.
Arbor Day is a time for people to get their hands in the dirt and plant and/or care for trees, bushes and plants. Celebrations include; communal tree planting, exhibitions, fairs, music performances and open days in garden centers.
Ways Canvas Craft can help you in getting your outdoors prepared for Summer:
- Let’s face it yard cleanup can be a bugger - do you have a hole in your lawn bagger, tarp, or other canvas product? Bring it on in!
- Speaking of buggers, do you want to keep your family outdoors, but away from all those bugs? How about a screen to enclose an existing space? We can do that!
- Planting trees right next to your home for the shade you need may not be best close to the foundation of your home and could take years to reap the benefits – how about a browse through our shade and awning products?
- Are the existing trees dropping leaves and sap on your lawn furniture? No trees, okay well is the sun beating on your hard earned lawn furniture? Let us cover it for you!
- Don’t have lawn furniture, well, the sunlight can take a toll on many of our prized possessions that get stored outside over the summer months, at Canvas Craft we want to protect the things you love!